Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Glorious Fall

I couldn't resist snapping this photo from my deck this morning. Leaves are falling rapidly--some trees are nearly bare--and I want to capture as many glorious fall days as possible. At this time each year, I'm positive fall is my favorite season. I love the golds, reds, burgundys, greens, and even browns. I love the crunch underfoot when my dog Angus and I take our daily morning walk. On those walks we sometimes spook wild turkeys crossing our little road. Deer stand watchful as they see us coming, then bound quietly (how do they do that?) into the woods. Soon winter will come, opening vistas not easily visible the rest of the year when the leaves cling tightly to the trees.

You know what? Today I've said that fall is my favorite season. But when winter arrives with her snow and ice, I'm sure I'll say winter is my favorite season. And at that time, it will be. And I'll take some pictures to share with you.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sally,
What a beautiful photo! Fall is my favorite season and Spring is my second choice. I love the colors of leaves in Fall and like to feel the 'crisp air'. Spring is my second choice with the flowering trees and flowers in bloom. There is so much beauty in all the seasons!

Some people really love to grocery shop but I'm not one of those folks. However, like you, I still have to shop for groceries. One day while grocery shopping in a really large store (sells groceries, clothes, music, etc.), I heard a song from my past. It sounded as though it was being sung in the store. It was "Only You" by The Platters. Remember that song? My shopping cart just steered itself from the grocery aisle and headed across the store in search of who was singing this song. I didn't think it was a CD. I was singing along with the music while the cart was zigzagging here and there. However, the song ended shortly before I reached my final destination. I was somewhere in the clothing area of the store.

Just then, I overheard a woman talking to a man about music she heard years ago so I steered my shopping cart toward them. My cart rested close to where they were standing and I waited for a chance to make a comment. I asked if he was the one singing the song "Only You" and he replied, "Yes". He introduced himself as Milton Bullock, The Golden Platter. I told him I loved all "The Platters" music and grew up listening to their songs. He told me he would be in the store that Saturday singing a lot of the favorites and to come out and hear him sing. Yes, I was there that Saturday and heard "My Prayer", "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", and others. That grocery shopping day was an enjoyable experience!

I liked your idea of the small area for dancing. I doubt I would become involved but there are many who would love the chance to dance to the music and others who would enjoy watching them.

I think it would be a great idea to have some 'unknown performers' to entertain in a grocery store. They could perform a few songs free and the public could get to know them. More folks may shop in that store just to hear the entertainers.

I'm enjoying your blog. Keep writing!

Mary Lib

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home