Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'm Back!

I know I haven't blogged since February. It wasn't because I didn't have anything to say. I did. I always do. Determined to finish my second book and mail it to my publisher, I forced all other thoughts out of my head. I did, however, take time to join Marion Higgins, Jim Morrison and Becky Mushko at Phoebe Needles--a delightful conference center in Franklin County--for a writing presentation. We had fun, enjoyed a gourmet lunch, met really nice folks and a handsome Brittany Spaniel. Yeah, I like dogs.

But guess what! I mailed my second novel, Secrets at Sweetwater Cove, to my publisher on May 2 at 9:31 a.m.! I'm scheduled to be on Hal Hubener's "Cover to Cover" cable TV show on July 14. Maybe my book will be published by then.

So what have I done since May 2? First, I walked around patting myself on the back. Then I tried to get my office organized. No luck. Then on May 11, Jim Morrison, Becky Mushko, Rodney Franklin and I spoke on "The Pros and Cons of Self-Publishing" at the main Roanoke Library. The picture below shows us in the background. So many more folks came that library personnel had to lug in lots more chairs!


From May 18-24, hubby Ron and I vacationed at Atlantic Beach, NC. I grew up in Greenville, NC (Ron moved there in the 9th grade), only a couple of hours from Atlantic Beach. It was great being back on old stompin' grounds. The beach has changed a lot since those days. What used to be miles of undeveloped land and sand dunes is now thick with beach houses, condominiums and businesses. But we had a great time, visited with Anne and Katherine (friends since elementary school) and my brother Mack and his wife Susan, and feasted all week on fresh seafood.

Four years ago, high school friends Kathryn and Bobby introduced me to the Big Oak Drive-In. Their shrimp burgers are to die for! They have oyster burgers, too, and I'm sure I'd like them. Ron wanted to lunch there every day, but that didn't happen. While we were standing there studying the menu, I heard a voice say, "Sally Ross?" (That's me, at least it was until I got married.) I looked at "the voice" and--surprise!--saw Clara Faye and Nannie Sue, both high school classmates. Anyhow, if you go to Atlantic Beach, drive down Salterpath Road. After a few miles, you'll see the Big Oak Drive-In on your left. Try it. You'll like it. And if you're lucky, maybe you'll see Clara Faye and Nannie Sue.


I have lots more to tell you, but angry storm clouds are closing in and I'm ready to shut down. Will be back later.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Welcome back to the blogsphere! You have been missed.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home