Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Sunday, January 05, 2014

DAY 2: HOW CAN I PART WITH THESE? WILL I PART WITH THESE?

Going through all these old books brings back so many wonderful memories of reading to my children and my grandchildren. Where is Christmas by Rosalind Welcher and Samson R. Diamond, illustrated by Rosalind Welcher, was published in 1944, and was one Mother read to me.
 

Copyrighted in 1964, The Cat in the Hat Beginner Book Dictionary by "the Cat himself and P.D. Eastman," was a good teaching book for my children. Grandchildren have enjoyed it, too.


Solomon Shag by Daphne Hogstrom and illustrated by Rosalind Welcher was a favorite in our house. The story of a homeless dog who looked everywhere for someone to love him never failed to elicit a tear or two from me, even though Solomon finally found the perfect home. I choked up reading it to myself a few minutes ago. It was copyrighted 1965 by Western Publishing Company, Inc. This book is a keeper, one I hope to read to great-grandchildren in a few years. 


My Father Can Fix Anything by Mabel Watts, illustrated by Bonnie and Bill Rutherford, copyright 1965 by Western Publishing Company, Inc., is another favorite. The story of a sweet boy who is proud of his father who fixes things for everybody (as does my talented husband), this book is also a keeper.


And then there's the delightful and fun-to-read There's a Mouse in Our House by Ethel Wynn, illustrated by Florence Sarah Winship, copyright 1966. This is "A Whitman Tiny-Tot Tale" and I bet I've read it a couple hundred times.


So which of these books will I keep? All of them except Where Is Christmas, which I think is too musty for my allergy-prone grandchildren.


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Keep 'em all! Seal the musty one in a plastic bag with some baking soda. some more tips are here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf585248.tip.html
Couldn't hurt to try.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home