Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Monday, August 10, 2009

First Book Signing

On Saturday, August 1, I joined Curtis Nester, Jim Morrison, and Bob VandeLinde at The General Store for a book signing--the first signing with my newly released novel Secrets at Sweetwater Cove. We had fun, met a lot of nice folks, and sold books--lots of books! That's us pictured below.

My first book signing with my first novel, Secrets at Spawning Run, was also held at The General Store. When book #1 was published, going into shops and hawking my wares terrified me. When a junior in high school, we juniors had to go door to door to sell magazine subscriptions to raise money for our class. That also terrified me. I remember knocking on doors and saying, "You don't want to buy a magazine, do you?"

Well, when you publish a book, especially a POD (print-on-demand) book, you must market your book if you want any sales. If not for writer buddies Becky Mushko and Karen Wrigley, that first signing at The General Store in 2005 may not have occurred. The first shop I entered tongue-tied me and I hurried out. After that fiasco, Becky and Karen aimed me at The General Store. Becky pulled me while Karen literally pushed from behind until I was inside. Rita and Vicki, owners of The General Store, agreed to take a few of my books. Ever since that day, the folks at The General Store have been great friends.

Above is a picture of King, a stuffed black Lab I bought at The General Store. King goes to book signings and talks with me.

If you've never shopped there, you've missed something special. The store is located at 213 Scruggs Road, Hardy, VA 24121, phone 540-721-3009. Stop by. You'll be glad you did.

* * *

My second book signing will be August 15 from 1:00 to 4:00 at Kitty's Little Book Shoppe located on 11858 Moneta Road (Rt. 122), Moneta, phone 540-297-7740. Both novels, Secrets at Spawning Run and Secrets at Sweetwater Cove, will be available for purchase. Tad Parker, another local writer, will be there with his new book Jerry McAllister and the Slaves of the Tellusian Underground, Book One. And Kitty will serve refreshments, so come fill up on culinary delights and good books!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So sorry I missed this! I adore The General Store and I'm in there periodically. I'm definitely going to pick up a copy of your book next time I'm down that way!

4:14 AM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

The General Store is one of the best shops in the lake area!

Glad the signing was so successful. Maybe we can do a joint signing there next spring when Feradiddledumday is released.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Becky, I'd love to do another signing with you! Looking forward to Feradiddledumday coming out.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Oh darn it, I missed it! I've been out of town. I like Becky's idea, though. Let me know when you do another so I can mark my calendar.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home