Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

THE HELP

The Help, the first novel by Kathryn Stockett, irritated me, added wrinkles to my already-wrinkled brow--and heaven knows, I have enough wrinkles without getting more from a book! Why did I react this way to a #1 New York Times bestseller? Not because I'm a Southerner whose family had "help" or because of non-Southerners' reactions to the typical Southern families of the 50s and 60s. This book irritated me because it was so good I didn't want to put it down!

Sorry. When I scanned the book I chopped off Kathryn Stockett's last name.

When our electricity went out at 10:30 Wednesday morning, I abandoned all plans to clean out my pantry. After all, my pantry is dark unless the light is on. I couldn't use my computer, do laundry, either, but I could relax in my recliner and read The Help. I grinned and settled down in my chair. Three hours later the power returned. Bummer. I finished the book two days later.

Initially, I started this book because it was the scheduled book to be read by The Pearls of Wisdom book club, and since I'm a member, well, you know how that goes. Would I have read it if not for the club? Probably not. I'm a lover of mysteries, thrillers, suspense novels. Touchy-feely books usually don't appeal to me.

From the jacket flap: "In pitch-perfect voices, Kathryn Stockett creates three extraordinary women whose determination to start a movement of their own forever changes a town, and the way women--mothers, daughters, caregivers, friends--view one another. A deeply moving novel filled with poignancy, humor, and hope, The Help is a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we don't."

I highly recommend this book. Run, don't walk, to the nearest book store, library, or friend who owns a copy.

Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons, a member of Penguin Group (USA) Inc.
Author's website: www.kathrynstockett.com
Penquin's website: www.penguin.com

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

One of my favorite books as well. I couldn't put it down either.

Thank you for speaking at the Pen Women meeting; it was a pleasure to hear you. Very inspiring!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Country Dew,thanks for reading my blog. And I'm glad you liked the book, too.

And thanks for the kind words about my speaking to the Pen Women. Y'all are so much fun!

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home