Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fred First, Nature Author and Photographer

I first met Fred First, a Floyd County resident, as we trudged up a hill in Rocky Mount to hear noted Civil War historian Bud Robertson speak. As we huffed and puffed our way to the lecture, I learned that Fred and his wife were restoring an old house, that he liked nature, was a photographer, and that he loved his dog--a Labrador retriever, I believe. And because I like all those things, I immediately liked Fred.

On Thursday, May 5, Fred delighted a large crowd at the Moneta/SML Library. Fred read some of his essays and selections from his two books. A nature writer and photographer, he inspired me to stop and look at the treasures nature has given us.



Fred First in the photo above and the one below.


Now I want to sit on the ground, study the insects, learn more about the plants I previously tried to eradicate. If my yard has more "weeds" than normal, blame it on Fred! And if I collect more ticks than usual, it's Fred's fault.

Yesterday I took some pictures of a few wildflowers, tried different settings with my camera. Remember to click on the pictures to enlarge.



This wildflower and the one below are the same. I think it's gorgeous, just don't know what it is.



I've been seeing the weeds below (or wildflowers--which is it?)
for years, usually plucked them from the earth.





This plant was trailing off a leaf-covered bank.

I don't know my wildflowers. I have only one wildflower book, which I perused a little while ago. I couldn't find any of those pictured above. Guess I need to invest in a good wildflower book. Any suggestions, y'all?


Fred's first book, Slow Road Home: a Blue Ridge Book of Days, ". . . invites the reader to join him on a field trip through time and place." I read this one several years ago, thoroughly enjoyed it.



What We Hold in Our Hands: a Slow Road Reader,
". . . directs our vision back for a closer look at the where and when of our lives." I'm looking forward to reading Fred's second book. By the way, did you know that Fred is Fred First the second?! I think that's so cool.

Below is one of Fred's breath-taking photos. Besides his two books, he has photo-notecards with this picture and many other equally gorgeous ones for sale.



Be sure to visit Fred's blog fragmentsfromfloyd.com and book web site www.SlowRoadHome.com.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger fred said...

Yellow flower is ragwort (one of several species, can't tell which), white is daisy fleabane, and blue is bluets. Now, you'll have at least three under your belt! Enjoyed the trip down, and the warm, Smith Mt Lake hospitality!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Fred, thank you, thank you! Now I know at least three wildflowers and can pass this knowledge on to my 12 grandchildren. See what a difference you have already made?

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home