Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Downtown Spring Fling

On May 7th, Mike Davis and I shared a booth at the "Downtown Spring Fling" Arts & Crafts Show in Rocky Mount, Virginia. Mike arrived around 8:00 a.m. to begin setting up. I joined him at 8:15. Mike and I had shared a speaking event at the Franklin County Library in Rocky Mount once, so I knew we'd have fun. Plus, he's a nice guy.


Mike (above) is the author of 12 novels--romantic suspense
and science fiction.


Because of concern about being set up on pavement with a blazing sun overhead, friend Amy Thomas loaned me her tent/canopy. Then the weather forecast the night before said the high temperature at noon would be 60 degrees, so Mike and I decided not to take the canopy. Bad idea. We nearly fried. But we survived and had a great time.



That's me wearing hubby Ron's red North Carolina State
baseball cap.
At one point I had TWO caps on with one bill facing
forward,
one facing backwards. The sun was HOT!

Mary Wray, owner of "The Artisan Center along the Crooked Road" and organizer of the Spring Fling, took excellent care of the vendors (around 30, I think) who were selling their wares, provided a clean bathroom indoors for us, helped with anything we needed. Mike and I met some nice, interesting people and sold some books.

Several painters, photographers, pottery creators, woodworkers, jewelry makers, and other artisans had items on display and for sale. I bought two pairs of earrings from wood turner friend Hugh Key.

Usually when I speak to groups or do book signings, I bring my stuffed black Labrador retriever King. Don't worry, he was never a real, honest-to-goodness live dog. He's stuffed like a child's teddy bear. I bring King to events because both my novels have a real "King" in them. Children love King, enjoy patting his head, rubbing his back, climbing on him. Most other dogs like him, although they always give him the sniff test. Asa, a German Shepherd at this event, accepted King immediately.

King

If there's another "Downtown Spring Fling" next year, you should go. But if you can't, know that The Artisan Center has most of the vendors' works throughout the year. And there's lots of other stuff to do in Rocky Mount.

At 3:00, Mike and I loaded up our vehicles and left--hot, tired, and happy.




Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

There'll be even more authors and artisans—including you and Mike—who will be at the Oct. 1 Mountain Spirits Arts Festival in downtown Rocky Mount!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

You're right, Becky! I'm already looking forward to the Mountain Spirits Arts Festival.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home