Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Monday, January 13, 2014

REMEMBERING JONATHAN

On January 12, 2006, I took advantage of an unusually warm winter day, and armed with my camera, launched my green kayak in Smith Mountain Lake. In one of the coves I saw this red-tail hawk, snapped lots of pictures of this handsome fellow before I paddled back to the house and viewed my pictures on the computer. At his feet lay a snake, Red's dinner, which is why he hadn't flown away.

"There could never be a more perfect day!" I said aloud. I haven't repeated those words.

 Red and his dinner.

Two hours later we received the phone call no parent nor grandparent ever wants to hear. Our precious two-year-old grandson Jonathan had been taken to the emergency room, and was now being flown to Charlottesville to the UVA Medical Center. Ron and I immediately drove to Charlottesville. Jonathan went to heaven the next day--eight years ago today. The cause of death? Arterial venous malformation of the brain.

 Jonathan and Ron enjoying themselves on the dock.

We still miss his smiles, his giggles, the way his arms felt when he wrapped them around our necks. He loved his parents, his big brother and sisters, his chickens, sheep and goats, his dogs. We had him in our lives for only two years and 17 days. We miss him so much, but feel blessed to have had him in our lives.

I usually blog about Jonathan on December 27th, his birthday, but didn't do it this year. Instead, I'm celebrating his freedom from pain, and his journey into heaven eight years ago. 

Grandmother and Granddaddy still love you, Jonathan. 






Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kim Dalferes said...

Sally, I am so sorry for your loss. The connection between that beautiful hawk and your amazing grandson is so strong, visceral. Bless your family and all your memories these past eight years.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Thanks, Kim.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home