Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Saturday, December 04, 2010

It's Snowing!

I glanced out the window at 1:50 this afternoon, saw snowflakes, not many, but enough to bring back memories of growing up in Greenville, North Carolina, where it seldom snowed. A few flakes were enough to send me, all the neighborhood children, and Mother outside to enjoy the white stuff. Schools would close. If we needed milk, eggs, or any groceries, there were a couple of grocery stores that would deliver to your door. Greenville had only one really good hill for sledding. There was a problem, however. A train track stretched across the road at the bottom of the hill. When you hit the train track you screamed "Uh oh!" Or "~!+ @#%*&!!!"

I remember trudging about a mile, holding the handle of my portable sewing machine with both hands, to my friend Dot Davis' house. We'd sew all day and talk about boys, which ones we thought were cute (Ron was one) and which girls the boys liked. Then I'd pack my machine up and lug it home. I think I'll call Dot tonight, let her know it's snowing and I'm ready to sew.

Here's the picture I took at 2:00 today. You wouldn't know it was snowing, but if you look closely at the bird feeder and the trees across the water you'll see some tiny white spots. That's snow. Trust me.



The above picture was taken at 2:05. It looks like snow. And it is!

Taken at 3:30.

Taken at 3:40.

Taken at 4:00.

Snow has covered everything except our black-topped driveway. Ron is grateful; he doesn't want to go out in the cold and wet to put the snow plow on the tractor.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home