Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

FAMILY WEEK AT EDISTO ISLAND

Ron and I recently drove to Edisto Island, South Carolina, in a loaded mini-van with two kayaks and two grandchildren for a much-anticipated week-long Roseveare family reunion. We caravanned with daughter Christine's family, and switched grandchildren several times during the ride.

A porch full of Roseveares. Eight more arrived later.


Ron and I with our 3 children, their spouses and children for a total 
of 20. We'd number 21 if grandson Jonathan hadn't died in 2006. 

Seeing relatives interacting and catching up on our families' lives was really special. We swam, kayaked, biked and played together. I loved getting to know my great nieces and nephews; I hadn't seen most of them for years. I laughed with them, marveled at their personalities and what possibilities the future holds for them. I discovered that my nieces and nephew are as delightful as I remembered, that they are good parents.

Some Roseveares at the Edisto River

Edisto Island isn't commercial like Myrtle Beach. Sandwiched between the Atlantic Ocean and the Edisto River, the island holds no big high-rise hotels or buildings. Bike trails run across much of the island, and bikers and runners take advantage of them. Access areas to the sandy beach are plentiful, so no matter where you stay on the island you can enjoy the ocean. We jumped the ocean breakers and played in waves mornings and early afternoons. Mid afternoons and at sunset we kayaked, crabbed, and played where the Edisto River and Atlantic Ocean meet. Sunsets here are spectacular. See photo below.


The Piggly Wiggly is the only supermarket on Edisto; I never shop there on Sundays when all the vacationers are arriving. The small aisles are jammed with hoards of shoppers and it smells of fresh fish, produce, sunscreen, and yeah, sweat and beer. We either take enough food for a couple days or buy it in nearby Walterboro. But Piggly Wiggly is beachy, loaded with personality--and I hope it stays the same for ever. Several of the kids bought Piggly Wiggly tee shirts. (I understand Piggly Wiggly shirts are the rage among teens, even in Virginia!) Even though I'm way past being a teenager, I bought one, too. Mine is purple.

 Cashiers above are wearing Piggly Wiggly tee shirts.

We visited the Serpentarium, watched naturalists feed alligators, and attended a snake presentation where some of us held a non-poisonous snake. As you can tell in the photo below, you don't want to be near a snake when red touches yellow! Our family has memorized this. Maybe you should, too.

Click on picture to enlarge.

 We discovered Hammock Island and Botany Bay Beach, both nature lovers' paradises. South Carolina's salt marsh ecosystem contains 3,500 hammock islands, located landward of barrier islands. We walked the half mile over salt marshes to Botany Bay Beach. See pictures below.

 Some of our folks crossing the salt marsh to Botany Beach.
 
Pelicans in flight at Botany Beach.

A centuries'-old live oak tree on Hammock Island.




Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Franz X Beisser said...

I'm going to check out this Edisto Island.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

You will love it, Franz! It's located 45-60 minutes south of Charleston.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home