Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Friday, February 14, 2014

VALENTINE'S DAY. ROSES. ROMANCE.

Valentine's Day. Roses. Romance. And creamed chip beef on toast. Yes, you heard me. I said creamed chip beef on toast.

What in heaven's name would creamed chip beef on toast have to do with Valentine's Day? you may ask. My husband, a former Navy radarman, really, really likes it. I cooked it fairly often when we were a  young married couple and he was a student at NC State University. Why not? It was cheap, good, and his very favorite dish except for maybe a Porterhouse steak, which we definitely could not afford. It helped that I liked it, too. But, as you know, things change.

When I got pregnant with our second child, I discovered that eating creamed chip beef made me nauseous. Cooking it made me nauseous. Even thinking about it made me nauseous. Needless to say, hubby received no creamed chip beef on toast for many years.

Because of my deep love for him (picture me with hand across my brow in a movie star "Woe is me" pose), I started cooking it again for his birthday.  Our two sons loved it almost as much as Ron. Ugh. I ate a hot dog while they feasted on creamed chip beef. Ugh. Our daughter ate a hot dog, too. Over the years, though, I developed a tolerance for creamed chip beef because I loved my husband. Am I not a great wife?! And some of my taste buds probably died, too.

We'd planned to go out to dinner with friends tonight to celebrate Valentine's Day, but because of the snowy/icy roads, we postponed it until tomorrow night. And because I love my husband, guess what I cooked for dinner? You guessed it--creamed chip beef on toast. And I ate two helpings!


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home