Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

RHINE RIVER CRUISE: Second Post

The drive through country roads toward the Black Forest was gorgeous. I took LOTS of pictures. Don't worry; only a few are in this post. Click on the pictures to make them larger.

Driving into the Black Forest.

The Black Forest isn't really black; it's mostly made up of dense firs and other evergreens. It was also the setting for "Hansel and Gretel" and "Little Red Riding Hood" books.     

The Black Forest Gateau.

When the clock on the front of the Black Forest Gateau chimes at 12:00, the wooden figures on the balcony waltz slowly in and out of the building.
 
An enlarged picture of some of the dancers.


We passed under this old raised train track on our walk through part of the Black Forest.


A heavily-flooded stream.

Our guide, concerned about our safety, cut our hike short because of flooded streams and slippery rocks and bridges. As much as we hated to turn back, I believe she made a wise decision.

Ron standing on a foot bridge.


For some reason this house that we walked by fascinated me, especially the doors and the roof. I would have loved to sit quietly on the bench for awhile.


Above is one of the many cuckoo clocks for purchase inside the Black Forest Gateau. The price on this small clock was $495. It is thought that Black Forest craftsmen had developed the first cuckoo clocks by 1630, although some believe that clockmaker Franz Anton Ketterer created the first cuckoo clock in 1738. 

I really didn't want to try a piece of Black Forest cake, but at Ron's insistence I agreed to share a slice with him. Oh my! After the first bite I wished we had ordered a piece for each of us, maybe even a whole cake! If you ever get the opportunity to sample a true Black Forest cake, go for it! I'm almost salivating just thinking of it.

A whole yummy Black Forest cake.

Ron taking his first bite of cake. He liked it, too.


I snapped this picture of the countryside through the bus window on our way back to the ship. After lunch on the ship, which was docked in Breisach, Germany, we headed out for an afternoon tour of Colmar, Germany.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sally - I was hoping to see some of your river cruise photos (after watching you take so many of them)!! They bring the trip and such fun memories back -- we enjoyed meeting you and Ron. Anne (& Al) Donoghue

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home