Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Thursday, September 03, 2009

White After Labor Day?

Funny how things happen. Fellow Lake Writer Becky Mushko met Lynn Dudley, president of the Piedmont Writers Group, while they waited in line at a funeral! Lynn asked Becky to speak to her writers group--Becky did--and Becky mentioned my name to Lynn. Then Lynn saw me on Hal Hubener's "Cover to Cover" TV show, e-mailed me and asked if I would speak at her writers group. I agreed. I'm so glad I did.

On August 25th, my husband and I drove to the Piedmont Art Museum in Martinsville, Virginia, to speak to the Piedmont Writers Group. I like talking to book lovers and fellow writers. And I love to sell books. But I reallly enjoy meeting the people who come to the talks and signings. And the ladies I talked with that evening were a lot of fun. A couple write poetry, some write mysteries, others essays and short stories, and one is writing a cookbook. Margaret Adkins had published Echoes, a book about her life. I'm looking forward to reading it.


Piedmont Writers Group

We talked about cramming bodies in porta-potties, keeping time lines straight, and the need to tie up all loose threads at the end of a book. We discussed other stuff, too, such as writing conferences and workshops, finding agents and publishers, the pros and cons of self-publishing, and the need for writers to join good writers groups.

In front of Macon Bookshop in Lynchburg

On Sunday, August 30th, I traveled to Lynchburg, Virginia, where I signed books from 1:00-3:00 at Macon Bookshop, which is a block away from Randolph College (formerly Randolph-Macon Woman's College). Students from the college poured into the book store to purchase text books. Most spent upwards of $200.00 each and didn't have any money left to buy my books. But I did sell a few, and bought what looks like a great book on bookkeeping. My husband, our two sons and their families stopped by. Son Ronny bought an interesting-looking book about the canals on the James River. He promised to let me read it.


Four of my grandchildren with me at Macon Bookshop

Perhaps you noticed in the pictures that I was wearing the same outfit at both events. Perhaps you are asking why. The reason is because every Southern gal just knows that you don't wear white pants or white linen jackets after Labor Day! Don't ask me why, you just don't! And I really like my white linen jacket and want to wear it every chance I get before Labor Day. I bet I could wear it to bed and my husband wouldn't tell anybody. Hmmm. That's an idea.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Oh how exciting, Miss Sally! Becky has such a heart for reaching out to fellow writers. She has done so much for me too. I'm so thrilled to see you taking off, and I'm hoping to get to meet you soon! Again, congratulations!

4:11 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Aw, y'all are making me blush! And I've gotten a lot of help from other writers, too, including you two.

Sally, you'll love Margaret's book. I did.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home