Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

RHINE RIVER CRUISE: Fourth Post


Leaving Breisach, Germany, on May 3rd, we traveled down the mighty Rhine toward Strasbourg, France. Did you know that 14,000 boats travel the Rhine every single day? That's a lot of boats! We passed castles, vineyards, small towns. And, of course, I took lots of pictures, most from the top deck of our ship. 

 A wind surfer enjoying the wind and high water.

One of the numerous wineries and vineyards.

Another vineyard.

 Clouds starting to build.

 
 A small town along the river. Note the vineyard 
and winery in the background.

 Love the architecture--a blend of old and new.

 The vineyards are planted vertically to take 
advantage of the sun and the drainage.

What could be lovelier than an old fortress
surrounded by a vineyard?

A picturesque village with vineyards keeping watch.

 More lovely architecture and grape vines.

I can't imagine any warring people breaching 
these castle walls.

One of many commercial riverboats.

 Mountains, vineyards, the Rhine, a castle, and a 
village--what more could you want?

 Many trains passed along the river.

 More mountains, vineyards, a village, 
and a flooded Rhine River.


 Another village with a small fortress just in case.

To work these steep vineyards, workers have to 
hook up to wires or ropes.

Click to enlarge and you will see three men 
working on the vines.

 Another castle and more grape vines.

 I think the architecture here is incredible.

 
 A "ship" that isn't really a ship.

 Passengers enjoying the scenery from the top deck.

 An incredible view.

 Storm's coming.

Another view from the top deck.

 Close to civilization.

More old and not as old.

 The building closer to the center is a hotel.

More lovely architecture.

Hope you've enjoyed the cruise. More will come in a few days.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home