Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Git on My Camel Named Clyde, and Ride . . .

His name was Ty, not Clyde. But when I saw him standing in the lot with two other camels and a sign saying "Camel Rides," I knew I had to take advantage of the opportunity. Hubby Ron looked at me like I'd lost my mind. So did Ron's two brothers and their wives.

Will I be sorry if I don't? I asked myself. I mean, how often will I have the opportunity to ride a CAMEL? It's not like when I was a child waiting in line with the other neighborhood kids to ride Mr. Pony Man's pony, get my picture taken, beg my mom to fork over a few dollars. This was a real, honest-to-goodness, live CAMEL!

Ron and me riding Ty

Five minutes later I mounted Ty and sat in front of his one hump. Hubby climbed on behind the hump. Before we started, I "talked" to Ty. His ears perked up. He turned his head around to get a better look at me. I remembered what my animal communicator friend Karen Wrigley wrote about a wise camel she once met. (Karen's book, Beyond Woofs and Whinnies, will be published and available for purchase in two or three months. I read the first proof book. It's really good. Be sure to get a copy.)

Of course, we weren't allowed to ride unassisted, even though I never doubted that Ty would behave himself. Chris, one of the attendants, led Ty around a ring for a ride no longer than the ones Mr. Pony Man used to give. And I loved it! It wasn't exactly comfortable, but if we'd had time I'd have gone around again. And then I'd have traded places with Ron and gone around a third time!

Chris leading Ty

After dismounting, I stroked Ty's neck and the thick hair on top of his head. I got the impression he enjoyed it, liked having a customer tell him how special he was, liked that a tourist cared about him. And I did care about him. I still do.

Ron dismounting. You can't see me; I'm talking to Ty.

So are you wondering where I was when I met Ty? My husband, his brothers and sisters-in-law and I were vacationing in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, for a week. We'd heard about the musical performance "The Miracle," which depicts Christ's life, crucifixion and resurrection. Live camels and a donkey were part of this incredible performance. My favorite camel was, of course, Ty.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky Mushko said...

This is so cool!

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Mary Lib said...

Sally,
Hats off to you and Ron for riding Ty, the camel. I love the pictures! I agree that is quite an unusual experience.

I had a face-to-face encounter with an aggressive camel while I was sitting in a tram in TX years ago. One camel approached the tram and stuck his head inside (2 feet from me). He had a really LONG tongue and was slobbering. It was not a pretty site. Lucky for me, the tram started moving. A camel's tongue is around 16 inches long. I think you can imagine that scene.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Mary Lib, a 16-inch tongue is a really LONG tongue, especially when it is slobbering over you! That could have been a really juicy kiss! Ugh.

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home