Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Monday, February 01, 2010

A Snowy Weekend

This picture was taken December 26th. There is still a little snow from the December snowstorm left on the deck. Note my grandkids' bare feet and their shirts that say "Grandma's Favorite." Even though this picture shows 11 grands, we have 12. Jonathan is in heaven.



Now, 12 new inches of snow blanket everything. Today the roads still aren't in good shape. Our driveway is cleared, thanks to hubby's Kubota RTV and his 1953 Ferguson tractor.



Yellow Dawg and Angus love for Ron to use his tractor.
Yellow usually rides along in the Kubota.

To me, the best thing about having snow is the pictures I can snap. This one is taken on the screen porch. I used the advice I got in Dan Smith's photography class at the Roanoke Regional Writers Conference in January and didn't attempt to center everything. I like this shot. Thanks, Dan.


Birds are a favorite subject of mine, and since Saturday, I've taken over 100 pictures. Don't worry--you won't be subjected to all of them! All the fowl shots were taken through closed sliding glass doors or windows.



I took the above picture of this bluebird through my office window. I've seen only one; hope it has a mate.



This female cardinal's mate flew off seconds before I snapped this shot.



Gold finches vying for a feeding station. There is another feeder full of nyger seed, but I couldn't be at all the feeders at once. They consumed most of the feed in this feeder in half a day. And yes, I filled it again.


Mist rising off the lake on Sunday morning. Get ready, because more weather is predicted for Tuesday!







Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Mary Lib said...

Sally,
Those are adorable and colorful shirts. ALL are 'favorites' of Grandma. Such a neat idea!!!

Snow...You got a lot more than we did. We got 2-3 inches. It should be gone in a couple of days; especially if we get rain today.

Who doesn't enjoy pictures of birds? Good shots!

I enjoyed your other pictures, too, and I assume the snow is going to keep Ron busy for a while.

Keep warm!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Thanks, Mary Lib. So far today we've had a little snow, but the expected sleet and freezing rain have not materialized yet. Ron is pleased.

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home