Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer

Contemplations from a quiet cove on Smith Mountain Lake.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm a Southern gal who loves life, my husband and our family (which, to date, includes 13 grandchildren). I enjoy being with friends and family. But I also like being alone and thinking up plots for future books. I've published two novels, both mysteries, and I'm working on my third. For more about my books, visit me at www.sallyroseveare.com. If you ever hear me say, "I'm bored," please get me to the ER immediately! Paddling my kayak and snapping pictures of the critters I see relaxes me. Beach music has the opposite effect--when I hear those old "doo-wops" I want to dance.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Snow on Postcards

"I like my snow on postcards," says hubby. He really means it, too. Not I. Well, okay, I like snow on postcards, but I really love honest-to-goodness, cold, wet snow.

When weather forecasters started warning us of a potentially heavy snowfall for the weekend before Christmas, I checked my pantry for cookie ingredients, canned food, drinking water, and, of course, toilet paper. Satisfied that we had what we needed if the power went out, I asked for two feet of the white stuff. Hubby didn't want a single flake. I pointed out the beauty of heavy snow, how clean and pure snow makes everything seem. He argued that walking becomes treacherous, entry ways messy, and doggies get a little too creative when going outside to potty. And shoveling snow hurts his back.


When the snow ceased on Saturday, 15 gorgeous inches blanketed our wonderland. Everything looked unspoiled, beautiful. The lake sparkled. Two pairs of ducks swam across the cove. If not for the dark green pines and the brown oak leaves, you'd think you were in a totally black and white world.


And then I heard hubby's 1953 Ferguson farm tractor crank up. He worked on our driveway and several others on our street for hours. He claims he hates snow and all the work involved. I believed him when we had horses and had to get water and feed to them, but that was years ago before hubby became allergic to hay and we had to give up our horses. (It broke my heart, but it was the horses or Ron. I chose Ron. I'm glad I did. But I still miss my horses.) Deep down, I think he likes to get on his tractor, show Mother Nature that she can't stop him. But please don't tell him I said that.


Today, deep, crusty snow still covers the ground, makes crossing the yard a dangerous feat for my 45-pound, 18-year-old dog Angus. He slips and falls easily; I worry that he will break a leg or a rib. Yellow Dawg handles it okay, but at 60+ pounds, he's taller and heavier than Angus. I heard yesterday that there's a chance of freezing rain. Hubby and his tractor do not like ice. Neither do I.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Kas said...

Hi I have enjoyed exploring your blog, I am a budding author and I welcome any inspiration from others.

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Mary Lib said...

Hi,
Your pictures are lovely. In fact, I was thinking they they should be on a calendar.

Snow is really beautiful when it first falls. However, I remember slipping three times just trying to get my car cleaned off and the door opened a few years ago. The snow was banked up and had iced over. Trust me... those falls were no fun!

Enjoy the view!

Mary Lib

9:55 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Kas, I'm glad you enjoyed exploring my blog. Now get busy and write, write, write! And find a good writer's group.

Sally

1:45 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Mary Lib, even though the snow is beautiful and I love it (usually), I'm now ready for it to all GO AWAY! But we're destined to get more of the white stuff this afternoon. Egad!

Sally

1:48 PM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

Beautiful when it first comes down, but I'm from new England where there was always too much snow!(I had horses there,too)I enjoy snow more now that I don't have to go out and shovel to get to work in the morning!
I am ready for Spring now!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Claudia, I'm now ready for Spring, too!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home